Can facials improve your health and well-being?
Have you ever had a facial that left you feeling disappointed, your skin looking worse, and your body feeling tense? On the contrary, have you experienced a facial that left your skin feeling hydrated and healthy, your confidence boosted and your body on cloud 9 from the release of tensions? Having been in the skincare industry for 18 years I have experienced and even delivered the gamut of facials. I started in medical aesthetics working with physicians to deliver result-oriented services like peels, lasers, microdermabrasion and an array of injectables. Over the past decade my philosophy on skin health has evolved to focus on the whole person when it comes to skin health and long-lasting results. I incorporate methods and modalities in the treatment room that aim at improving the whole being because our skin is just an extension of our internal balance (or imbalance) and health. For this very reason, I call facials, experiences because they should be just that, an experience that leaves you feeling cared for, nourished, and completely restored.
Here are ways that facials can improve your health:
- Physical Touch: Touch is a key human need that lowers our blood pressure, boosts our immune system, improves mood by lowering stress hormones and releasing oxytocin and serotonin, improves quality of breath and can even relieve pain.
- Improved circulation and lymphatic flow: Movement of the skin tissues brings healthy blood flow and fresh oxygen to the skin. Our lymphatic system is our body’s system of internal cleaning and detoxing. Unlike our heart which has a pump, our lymph system does not, therefore it requires us to get it moving. Facials that incorporate lymph opening and drainage techniques (like our facials), open the channels of detoxification. This reduces puffiness and congestion, improves skin tone by decreasing inflammation and even improves our immune system because health lymph flow releases white blood cells that filter out foreign invaders in the body.
- Better sleep: Have you ever noticed that after a facial you sleep better? This is because facials can release stress from our nervous system.
- Pain management: When we are relaxed and in the parasympathetic state, our bodies are in the rest and digest mode. In this state your nervous system is communicating with your feel-good hormones and neurotransmitters instead of with the stress hormones. Some of your feel-good hormones are oxytocin, endorphins, serotonin and dopamine.
- Improved clarity and focus: Brain fog can be diminished after a facial because of the increase in blood flow from varying massage techniques. Also, the nervous system is in a state of balance, so this leads to clearing thinking.
- You just feel good!!!! When you feel good, you attract more of the feel-good things into your life. It is a universal law of attraction!
Some of the modalities and techniques used during our facial experiences that lend to results in your skin and your overall well-being:
- Providing a loving, welcoming and calming atmosphere with Solfeggio healing frequencies, a dim lit room, essential oils diffusing and a reiki attuned aesthetician.
- Facial Reflexology: this is our star modality that offers an instant state of peace and calm that restores energy flow to the body. To read more about facial reflexology check out our Quantum Facial or our Pure Energy Facial Meditation.
- LED Light Therapy: Low level light therapy delivers specific healing wavelengths of light energy to obtain therapeutic benefits for the skin, hair restoration and pain. The red light it emits also can help in the secretion of melatonin, which will lead to a better night’s sleep and improved mood.
- Lymphatic drainage massage utilizing a methodical approach with my hands, facial cups, gua sha stone or facial reflexology wand.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!